Skip Navigation
The Official Web Site of the State of South Carolina Show Links

Need Help to Resolve a Dispute?

What Utilities are Regulated by the ORS?
What Utilities are NOT Regulated by the ORS?
Steps To File a Complaint With the Office of Regulatory Staff

What Utilities are Regulated by the ORS?
The Office of Regulatory Staff (ORS) can assist you through its online consumer complaint/inquiry form. The Consumer Services Division will process customer complaints and inquiries in accordance with the statutory requirements for the ORS. The ORS represents the public interest in utility regulation with regard to rates, charges, service standards, facilities, and practices of investor-owned utilities in the areas of:

  • Electric
  • Natural gas
  • Water
  • Wastewater
  • Local and intrastate (within South Carolina) long distance telephone service.
  • Intrastate (within SC) household goods movers (moving companies)
  • Intrastate (within SC) passenger carriers

To view a list of regulated utility companies on our website, click here.

What Utilities are NOT regulated by the ORS?
If your complaint or inquiry concerning your utility service involves the rates, business practices, charges or billing for one of the following, the ORS does not have authority to initiate an investigation request with the company to attempt a resolution. The following list does not include all non-regulated entities.

  • An electric cooperative
  • A city or town owned water/wastewater utility
  • A city or town owned electric/natural gas utility
  • A cable or satellite television company
  • A cellular phone provider
  • Internet service
  • Propane gas provider
  • A company that does not provide a utility service
  • Interstate (outside of SC) household goods movers
  • Interstate (outside of SC) passenger carriers

Steps to File An Informal Complaint/Inquiry

Please read the following instructions carefully to file a complaint or make an inquiry.  All submitted entries will be screened for inappropriate language. Entries containing inappropriate content will not be processed.

1)  Discuss the Matter With Your Utility
If you have an issue with a utility or transportation company that falls within the realm of the ORS, you should first discuss the matter directly with that utility. The contact number for the utility should be clearly stated on the company’s bill sent to you. Many issues are resolved in this manner and do not require the filing of a complaint with the ORS.

Provide the utility with a detailed description of the problem and all relevant facts. The utility should investigate your issue and let you know the action that it plans to take. If you do not hear from the utility within a reasonable time, or if you are not satisfied with the company’s action, you may contact the ORS for assistance. The ORS is staffed from 8:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. on Monday through Friday, except on state holidays.

2)  File Your Complaint with the ORS 
You do not need an attorney to file a complaint for a residential service account.

To file a complaint, or make an inquiry, be prepared to provide the following information:

  • Your name, mailing address, and telephone number
  • The name of the service account, street address, city, and zip code
  • The name of the utility
  • Facts about your issue or complaint
  • The action the utility took on your complaint
  • A brief statement of the solution desired

3)  Action by the ORS 
Upon receipt of your complaint, the ORS staff will review it for acceptance. The Consumer Services Division of the ORS will evaluate your complaint and initiate an investigation with the utility or transportation company for a response. The ORS cannot resolve every complaint to a customer’s satisfaction, but it will act promptly on complaints and make every effort to see that you are treated fairly in a manner consistent with the Public Service Commission of South Carolina’s rules and regulations. We will contact you within 30 days after initiating an investigation for response from the company. Many of the complaints received at the ORS are resolved in an informal manner through discussions involving the customer, the company, and the Consumer Services staff. However, if these efforts are not satisfactory, the Consumer Services staff can provide you with information on how to obtain further review of your complaint.      

Telephone Contact Information:
Consumer Services Division
Phone: (803) 737-5230 (Columbia, SC)
Fax:     (803) 737-0801
1-800-922-1531 (Toll free within SC)


Mailing Address:
Office of Regulatory Staff
Consumer Services Division
1401 Main Street, Suite 900
Columbia, SC 29201  

Online Complaint Form

Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (except state holidays)